Saturday, December 22, 2012

Transforming learning for boys

The topic of boys' performance in school is one close to my heart because I have an exuberant son who loves to learn new things, explore, ask questions and wrestle with his dad. He does not like to sit still in school.

He seems to be taking to the IB program well this year and its units of inquiry, but as a parent I worry about his spelling and his math facts.

As a teacher, I struggle to understand my sixth and seventh grade male students. They are not much older than my son, so I try to keep that in mind, but I want to do all I can to encourage their learning. I am also working to understand their Korean culture while trying to understand the preteen male in the world today.

My students all have MacBooks. Many are engrossed in Minecraft in their spare (and not spare) time. My male high school students use technology as a social network and to watch sports. If these are the things my male students see as relevant in their own time, how can I use that to transform their learning?

Although I don't think this book I am about to read will specifically address the use of technology with boys, my hope is that it will give me some insights I can transfer to my classroom and share with colleagues.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Add This